[NSRCA-discussion] Mike Riggs Sportsman's articles

edwarda10pilot at aol.com edwarda10pilot at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 07:00:51 AKDT 2010

Glenn:

I agree with you on publishing articles like Mike Rigg's Sportsman article in Model Aviation. I have found that as I have aged, my precision flying skills have seemed to diminish. In fact, I still feel somewhat "inferior or less that qualified" to compete and everytime I go to an event, it is my hope to fly well enough so I don't embarrass myself infrom of my peers so I know how Mike feels/felt.

In the August edition of Model Aviation Duane Wilson wrote an article on one of the first RC celeberties, Ed Kazmirski (Kaz). After reading the article, I sent an e-mail to Michael Ramsey (Model Aviation editor). In the e-mail I suggested that he consider soliciting articles for publication that highlight contributors to the hobby of modeling that made an impact (RC, free flight and control line). I suggested that he schedule these articles for periodic publishing in the magazine. He said that he thought that a good idea and they would try to do this. Duane Wilson said that he tried for quite some time to get AMA to publish the article in it's entirety and he resisted the request from AMA to reduce the size to a small one or two page submission.

My point in this is that I think that the AMA is always looking for articles (and they should be) from the membership. I believe that the pattern community (be they SPA, Classic or 2 meter) should e-mail Michael and let them know that as dues paying members they would like to see articles like Mike wrote. In fact, I think that Mike should consider submitting the articel to Michael at AMA and we should insist that it nor be pared down to fit on the aerobatics column.

just my 2c,

Ed Valls