[NSRCA-discussion] Servicing Servos

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon May 17 16:03:54 AKDT 2010

For a good soft mounted 2C glow setup -

9411sa aileron ~200 flights, change pots and gears

841sa rudder ~200 flights, change pots and gears

8417sa elevator (single with pushrod), or pair of 3421sa / 3517 nylon in the
tail ~400 flights, change pots and gears

For a good soft mounted 4C setup...expect to change pots and gears twice as
often.

For a good electric setup...figure about 300 flights ail/rud, and 500
flights for elev.

And by good setup, I mean linkages with no slop, ATVs/endpoints running ~
130% (150% is max for JR), and lightweight control surfaces that do not have
resonance issues at any particular throttle settings, and softmounts that do
not resonate at any particular throttle setting.  "Bad" setups can rapidly
increase wear on servos, and kill them in very short order.  When I ran
glow, I never allowed my engine to idle super slow for than a second or two
on the ground (after it was properly setup) because of the vibration that
occurs with the vast majority of setups when the idle gets low enough.

AND.I would add that it is not just geartrain slop and poor centering that
are signs of aging servos.  Very often before the centers go, the endpoints
will start to vary.this is another sign of wear on the pots, and while not
easy to notice (because it is a gradual change) on rudder and elevator,
endpoints can change enough to throw off aileron differential.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

Team Horizon / JR / Spektrum

  _____