[NSRCA-discussion] What the heck .... starter battery charging ouch

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Wed May 5 11:45:16 AKDT 2010

Mike,

Assuming that the cells in the charger are NiCds, I think it is more
likely that one developed a short and drew too much current from the
wall charger, which has no safety equipment at all.  Actually, this
would be even more true if they were NiMHs, since the NiMH normal
failure mode is short rather than open -- NiCds tend to fail open...

At 03:27 PM 5/5/2010, you wrote:
>I am not an electrical guy, nor do I play one on TV, but how about
>this theory:
>
>The battery itself has been showing signs that it might be at the
>end of its life.  After spending a winter in hibernation in the
>basement, it was having trouble spinning the YS170 and a pair of
>LA40s in a Pica Duelist after about 4 flights.  Normally, 4 YS
>starts and a few sport motor starts are not a problem at all a
>session or two in a row without a re-charge.  If the battery's
>resistance is higher due to its age, can the wall charger be forced
>to work harder, heating up the wiring until the plastic wire sleeve
>started to melt and a short occurred finishing off the charger once
>and for all?
>

>----------
>Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:10:47 -0700
>From: bob at toprudder.com
>To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
>Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] What the heck .... starter battery
>charging ouch
>
>The "built-in" circuit breakers are typically GFCI outlets and don't
>offer any over-current protection, just ground fault protection. Not
>sure this would have helped. All outlets should be protected for
>over-current by a breaker in a panel somewhere. There are some newer
>breakers that offer arc-fault protection, that may have tripped in your case.
>
>It would be interesting to diagnose the failure and determine what
>happened. Perhaps just a fuse in the charge jack would have prevented this.
>
>I have a friend that replaced all his 3 pin charge jacks with 1/8"
>mini-jacks since they were easier to mount in a plane (just drill a
>round hole). I advised him against that, since those can short if
>not fully inserted. He never had a problem, though.
>
>Bob R.

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.