[NSRCA-discussion] Batteries again

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue May 4 09:46:22 AKDT 2010

Can't speak for the pattern sized packs, but I have been flying the Zippy/Flightmax in smaller sizes for a while. I am very impressed with them, regardless of price.

I was distracted while walking back to the pits recently, after having landed my plane for the last flight of the day. I ended up leaving the battery in the plane, plugged into the ESC with an arming switch (which I had turned off). About a week later, I discovered my error. The battery, a 3S 3000 20C, only showed 2.2V total for the pack. I was ready to toss it, but thought I would try to bring it back to life.

None of my Lipo chargers would touch it, so I hooked it up to variable DC supply at 1 amp for a few minutes until the pack voltage came up some. Then I hooked it up to my balance charger and charged it at a low rate (1A) until it was fully charged. I have been flying it ever since. I have another identical pack that I purchased at the same time, and the charger tells me that they both have the same internal resistance. I can't tell any difference between the two packs, except for an identifying mark I put on the one pack. Time will tell. I have not counted, but I suspect I have about 50 flights on each pack.

I have Zippy/Flightmax packs from 1300 to 3700 mah and have not had the first problem with any of them. I am not saying they are better than anything else, but if/when I get an electric pattern plane, those are what I will purchase.

Bob R.