[NSRCA-discussion] Solved: YS 160 question

Bob Lavey bob.lavey at cox.net
Mon Mar 1 11:52:37 AKST 2010

It was the check valve, I'm nearly 100$ certain.  I pulled all the fuel
lines from around the engine: case-to-pump, fuel dot-to-pump, pump-to-carb,
carb-to-injector.  They all looked fine and passed the blow and suck test,
but I replaced them anyhow.  I pulled the check valve and ran a new piece of
line from the carb to the injector.  I also checked the plug while I was
under the hood, and it looked fine.  So, since it's 45 degrees, overcast,
and there's a 12mph north wind, I went out to the field to see if it was
better.  It was going to bug me until I could check it out :)  I reset the
needle and regulator to their previous settings and gave it a go.  It
started right up, idled fine, transitioned fine, ran good in the mid-range
and top end, and seemed to have more power.  So it put it in the air.  I
pulled into the square loop, and at 1/2-2/3 throttle it pulled up and up
like it always has.  Yay!

I found a post from Troy Newman on RCU saying you could run without the
check valve, or I'd have never tried that on my own.  It's good to know, in
case this happens again and I don't have a spare handy.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and assistance.

Bob