[NSRCA-discussion] S.bus

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 10:03:26 AKDT 2010

To me this is a major milestone in the development of RC systems.  It is the first fundamental change in how the servo is mechanized since Spreng and Mathes developed the first "digital servo" back in the 60's.  They have eliminated the need for conversion of digital to analog in the receiver and the analog pulse width generator and analog pulse width comparator in the servo.  For the first time the electronics are really digital.  The pulse stretching, damping, deadband, etc., can all be controlled digitally with no timing constraints.  This will allow them to build a servo with higher frequency response which is a significant parameter in building a good servo loop.  Have you ever heard them talk about frequency response or time constant?  I'm sure the engineers understand this but I wonder how much they are constrained by the management.  Why did it take an American effort to bring a Spread Spectrum system to market?  Perhaps better is the enemy of good enough, but I've always been pushing for better.

I believe my statement about Futaba is confirmed by the response of the Pattern Community.  It doesn't seem like many can see why this is a better system except for the elimination of clutter.

Jim