[NSRCA-discussion] [F3A-Discussion] snaps

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Jul 6 18:06:30 AKDT 2010

Ken, I agree with you 100%.

While flying for some video that Fred Midgett was shooting, I had the opportunity to do some snap rolls flying directly towards the camera. This was an electric Cap 232 with a relatively high wing loading, and it snapped very well. But, when flown directly towards the camera during a snap roll, it obviously displaced in a corkscrew fashion during the snap.

I've said it before (and so have many others) that the wing, even when stalled, is still generating lift. I say it is impossible to do a snap roll with the CG traveling on a straight line. I'll challenge anyone to shoot a video of the plane traveling directly towards or away from the camera, do a snap roll, and show us that it remains on a straight line.

Just M2CW.

Bob R.