[NSRCA-discussion] Learning to Airbrush

Lisa n Larry lld613 at psci.net
Sun Feb 28 06:49:34 AKST 2010

I'm going to learn how to use an airbrush. I will start with water based
<http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=3396> paint
(Createx) to learn the techniques of using an airbrush.

Once I have learned how to use and control the airbrush, I will be using
Pactra paint for the lexan canopy.

Where do you paint using a small paint booth (width -30" or less)? Is there
a paint booth that will allow safely airbrush painting indoors with the
Createx paint (water based)? I'm going to assume that airbrushing Pactra
indoors even w/
<http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=2752> carbon
filters is not wise. If you have a set up that allows for it, I would be
curious but I will probably wait till the weather warms up and airbrush in
my garage with the Pactra due to Lisa's trips in and out of the hospital.

Airbrush is a Paasche VLSTPRO with #3 and #5 needles (had it for about 10
years now). I plan on using the #5 as there isn't any fine detail I'm
looking at. I have a compressor and a portable air tank w/ regulator and
water separator (??? not sure if that is the correct name).

My plan is to mask off the bottom of the canopy with 1/8" masking tap. Blend
in from the tape working up a 1/2 inch or so with Pactra Metallic Red
(RC64). The next step would be to fill in the rest of the canopy with
Metallic Flake Silver (RC69). To finish the scheme I plan to use black as a
backing to the metallic colors. Remove the masking and paint the bottom edge
using Pactra Sprint White...Trim the edges off the canopy and attach to
plane.

Does this seem like the right path? I don't mind if there is some lightly
blended in red throughout the canopy resulting from overspray as this would
be the effect I'm looking for. I'll practice this on white paper first
(opposite order) with Createx paint. Then switch to lexan sheets to ensure
the desired effect. Then hit the canopy...

If you have a Paint Booth and can send me pics off line I would appreciate
it. Please let me know if I'm on the right path..

Larry Diamond

PS - The canopy is for my wife's plane Tower Hobbies Kaos 40, I want to get
it right and jazz it up a bit...Ohhh and don't tell anybody, but this will
let me practice airbrushing before I start on any Pattern plane.VBG.