[NSRCA-discussion] Feedback wanted

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sun Feb 21 08:44:50 AKST 2010

Last May, we had a discussion about how to design a
schedule-maker for F3A unknowns.

I've designed a system for doing so.

I'd like to get some feedback before I lock down
the drawing spaces for the maneuvers.  I would
like all of the 481 drawings done in the right
scale so that any 17 of them can be read in and
placed on the page as needed (and reversed
as needed--each of the 17 must be shown with
wind from the right and with wind from the
left to make up the two Aresti diagrams).

The discussion of the design is here:

http://moleski.net/dokuwiki/f3a/home

Some sample SVG drawings are here:

http://moleski.net/dokuwiki/f3a/drawings

Note well: to see the SVG images, you will need
an SVG-capable browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox;
I could not get IE to work, even with plugins).

My goal is to use all open-source tools and
(eventually) to make the source code and drawings
freely available.  That way, if people don't like
what I've done, they can have it their way.  :o)

After getting the design locked down, then I'll
need some more help drawing and proofreading
the Aresti diagrams.

You do not have to tell me how much you want a
generic, open-source, Aresti editor that will let
you draw any maneuver you can imagine.  I understand
how cool that would be.  I also understand how hard
it would be.  :o)

Let's call that all-powerful editor "Maypo," as in
"I want my Maypo!"

The Buffalo PHP guru recommended not writing Maypo
first.  Beppo is plenty hard enough as it is.  When
the scale is locked down, I'll make a library of
symbols for rolls, half-rolls, snaps, spins, etc.,
and write up the guidelines for how to contribute
drawings to the project.  I don't want to do too
much drawing until we have the scale set.

Once all 481 drawings are done in the same scale,
they may, of course, be re-scaled uniformly for
different layouts.

In the images of the layout, I've just put the
numbers into the boxes that show the boundaries
for the drawings.  In the final product, the
numbers will hook up to the entrance of each
maneuver and there will be no bounding boxes.
One step at a time ...

				Marty