[NSRCA-discussion] Swelling Lipo

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 10:14:04 AKST 2010

Can I use this in a club newsletter ?

Bob Kane

getterflash at yahoo.com

--- On Sun, 12/5/10, Chris <cjm767driver at hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Chris <cjm767driver at hotmail.com>
Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Swelling Lipo
Date: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 9:30 AM

  Here is the full article with much more detail.

    Chris

    What's Really Going On Inside A Dying Lithium Battery

    Thu, 07/08/2010

    Warning: Science ahead! Close your eyes and
      turn away,
      you've been warned!
    Many radio-control enthusiasts experience disappointment with the
      cycle life
      of their Lithium-based batteries in electric aircraft. Often this
      is because
      they're not entirely sure what's going on inside the battery, and
      choose a
      capacity or voltage that's inappropriate for their application.
      Ultimately,
      this manifests itself in "swelling" or "ballooning" of a Lithium
      battery. This editorial attempts to explain what's actually going
      on when this
      happens.
    Chemically, there can be three causes for the swelling of a LiPo
      battery,
      and one exacerbating condition that makes it worse across the
      board. These
      occur in hard-shell Lithium Ion batteries, too, but the hard shell
      can
      withstand several atmospheres of pressure before expanding.
    Note: This is MY understanding of the chemistry involved. I may
      be off-base,
      after all, I'm a college dropout. But I did love chemistry class!
    Cause #1: WATER in the mix.
    EDIT: Lithium manufacturers who's products are implicated in
        this
        assertion (read: Hextronik et al, circa 2006-2007, Thunder Power
        circa 2008)
        will dispute the assertion of contaminated Lithium. The most
        common contaminant
        is water, but there are many others that will cause lithium
        oxidation in the
        cell. Basically, any other substance containing oxygen that can
        be freed by
        electrolysis or heat will become a contaminant, and any
        substance that isn't
        the expected anode, cathode, or separator is a contaminant that
        will reduce the
        performance of the cell and cause swelling in other ways.
        Manufacturers have a
        fiduciary responsibility to claim that there was no product
        defect, otherwise
        they're responsible for a recall. I'll talk about the science
        and let you draw
        your own conclusions.
    This was the common problem with many cheap Chinese LiPos of
      around
      2005-2008. Most are better now, but it's the #1 cause of premature
      LiPo
      failure: water contamination in the plant. Many of China's
      LiPo factories are on the coast, where the altitude is very low
      and the
      humidity is high. You can't run the humidity too low on the
      assembly floor,
      because you're working with volatile chemicals that could explode
      in the
      presence of a spark, and you can't run it too high because then
      you end up with
      a worthless LiPo that swells on first use.
    Here's the science. You have three ingredients that are
      functional in a LiPo
      battery. The rest is wrapping and wiring attachments.

      Cathode: LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4
      Separator: Conducting polymer
        electrolyte
      Anode: Li or carbon-Li
        intercalation compound

    I'm going to be a little vague in my language here. The chemicals
      involved
      vary according to manufacturers, so I don't want to make any
      assumptions.
    Remember your chemistry class? Note the absolute lack of
        any
        hydrogen atoms in the reaction. None, zero, zip, nada.
      If you have water
        inside your battery -- and virtually all batteries have
      a little bit
      -- you've got problems. When the chemical bond of H20 is broken by
      electrolysis
      and heat, you end up with free oxygen. You also have free-roaming
      hydrogen that
      typically ends up bound to your anode or cathode, whichever side
      of the
      reaction it's on and depending on the state of charge of your
      battery.
    Now, this is a pretty unstable situation that's exacerbated by
      any
      over-discharge or over-charge condition creating metallic lithium
      in your cell.
      The end result is Lithium Hydroxide: 1 atom of lithium, one atom
      of hydrogen,
      and one atom of oxygen.
    But you still have a free oxygen atom floating around inside the
      battery
      casing, that typically combines with one other oxygen atom -- O2,
      or what we
      sometimes think of as "air" -- or two other oxygen atoms, to form
      characteristic tangy, metallic-smelling substance called "ozone",
      or
      O3. Gases expand with heat and contract with cold. Chuck a swollen
      battery in
      the freezer and it might come out rock-hard again... until it
      heats up. It's
      not frozen, it just got cold enough that the gases inside didn't
      take up much
      space at all.
    And that free O2 or ozone is just waiting to pounce and oxidize
      some lithium
      on the slightest miscalculation on your part. The modest
      over-discharge during
      a punch-out, or running the battery a little too low or letting it
      get a little
      too hot, or running the voltage up to 4.235v/cell on a cold day
      when the actual
      voltage limit per cell is more like 4.1v. All of these create the
      perfect storm
      for a puffy battery to quickly turn itself into a ruined battery
      or an
      in-flight fire.
    Understanding the role of free oxygen in your battery, from water
      and other
      causes, is CRUCIAL to understanding why batteries fail, and why
      sometimes you
      can get by with flying a puffy battery, and sometimes you can't.
    Cause #2: Formula degradation from over-charge/over-discharge
    If a Lithium battery is overcharged or charged too quickly, you
      end up with
      LOTS of excess free lithium on the anode (metallic lithium
      plating), and free
      oxygen on the cathode. A free oxygen atom is small enough to
      freely traverse
      the separator without carrying an electric charge, resulting in
      lithium OXIDE
      on the anode. Lithium "rust", in reality. Useless to us at this
      point, just dead weight being carted around inside your battery's
      wrapper.
    But lithium oxide uses fewer oxygen atoms than existed in the
      ionized state,
      so you end up with, again, FREE OXYGEN. And people wonder why if
      you
      over-charge a LiPo underwater, it still ignites despite the lack
      of open air...
    If it's over-discharged or discharged too quickly, the reverse is
      true, but
      you end up with Lithium Oxide on the cathode, but at a lower rate
      because
      there's simply less there. Basically, an abused battery quickly
      develops
      corrosion on both poles of the battery inside the wrapper. And the
      more it's
      abused, the worse it gets as the resistance goes up and it still
      gets driven
      hard.
    This, by the way, is the most common cause of swelling today for
      our
      aircraft when flown with a high-quality pack (not knock-off eBay
      leftovers from
      expensive Chinese mistakes of 2004-2009). The reality is, these
      kinds of cells,
      regardless of their 'C' rating, are built for use where they last
      for several
      hours... not several minutes. While the chemistry if used as
      designed is good
      for thousands of cycles, we're driving them so far out of spec
      that we're lucky
      to get hundreds of cycles out of them.
    In most cases, too, our batteries are under-specced. If
      slow-charged and
      slow-discharged, many of these packs would often hold considerably
      more mAh
      than we think they do. That's one of the reasons we get the
      performance we do
      from them. Higher-C-rated packs also often introduce gelled
      electrolyte into
      the separator, and carbon or phosphorous nano-structures on the
      anode and
      cathode mixtures rather than the "pound it out thin and hope it's
      mixed
      right" approach used with sheets of anodes & cathodes today.
    Cause #3: Poor separator construction
    A number of cheap LiPos also use a bad separator formulation.
      Ultimately, it
      often boils down to using a dry separator with way too high of an
      internal
      resistance to hold up to manufacturer "C"-rating claims. The
      internal
      resistance grows over time because a higher and higher percentage
      of the LiPo
      is simple Lithium Oxide, and the balloon grows bigger as more
      oxygen atoms are
      freed.
    I'd also lump "poor anode or cathode chemistry" into this
      category, too. Ever get a bad battery out of a batch of good ones?
      Often it's
      because the mixture of chemicals was inconsistent, and you end up
      with too much
      or too little lithium on one side of the battery (well, in certain
      plates, you
      get my drift).
    Exacerbating factor: HEAT.
    A little heat makes everything work better for a Lipo. If you
      could fly your
      battery right at 140 Fahrenheit all the time, it would make
      fantastic power and
      be operating right in its happy zone. But it generates heat when
      charging, and
      when discharging. Hitting 150 results in significant metallic
      lithium
      generation, which as we can see from above is a major cause of
      puffing and cell
      destruction.
    Similarly, the maximum 4.235v/cell limit is only at that mythical
      140F. It
      goes down steadily from there, to about 4.2v/cell at room
      temperatures, and
      around 4.0v/cell below 50F, beyond which the over-abundance of
      electrons will
      again break chemical bonds and free lithium to bond with oxygen
      and create
      lithium oxide... which is just a disaster waiting to bond with
      humidity in the
      air if the LiPo ruptures, to create Lithium Hydroxide.
    Conclusion
    Chemically, there are no LiPos that will not puff under certain
      circumstances. But tightly-controlled humidity, a superb gel
      separator,
      nano-structured anode and cathode, and careful charging and
      discharging within
      manufacturer limits should also prevent puffing. Similarly,
      putting a pack that
      has been abused into a lower-discharge aircraft, even when puffed,
      often serves
      the purpose of stopping the puffing in its tracks because no more
      metallic
      lithium is being created in the cell by abuse.
    And now you know the answer to today's geeky topic. Why lithium
      polymer
      batteries often puff up.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----