[NSRCA-discussion] "Sick" Lipo Packs

Chris cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:45:27 AKST 2010

Stu is right, all cells in the pack were subjected to the same
overcharge or over discharge and will also fail as the first cell did.
One event will probably not show up as a swelled cell but it is the
overcharge / over discharge over many cycles that will result in
swelling. Notice the article says that max voltage is temp related, and
most chargers don't make this adjustment so even with a "good" balance
charger, you can still overcharge.

Chris

Part of a good article:

/This was the common problem with many cheap Chinese LiPos of around
2005-2008. Most are better now, but it's the #1 cause of premature LiPo
failure: water contamination in the plant. Many of China's LiPo
factories are on the coast, where the altitude is very low and the
humidity is high. You can't run the humidity too low on the assembly
floor, because you're working with volatile chemicals that could explode
in the presence of a spark, and you can't run it too high because then
you end up with a worthless LiPo that swells on first use./

/Here's the science. You have three ingredients that are functional in a
LiPo battery. The rest is wrapping and wiring attachments./

    * /Cathode: LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4/
    * /Separator: Conducting polymer electrolyte/
    * /Anode: Li or carbon-Li intercalation compound/

/I'm going to be a little vague in my language here. The chemicals
involved vary according to manufacturers, so I don't want to make any
assumptions./

/Remember your chemistry class? Note the absolute *lack of any hydrogen
atoms in the reaction*. None, zero, zip, nada. If you have *water inside
your battery* -- and virtually all batteries have a little bit -- you've
got problems. When the chemical bond of H20 is broken by electrolysis
and heat, you end up with free oxygen. You also have free-roaming
hydrogen that typically ends up bound to your anode or cathode,
whichever side of the reaction it's on and depending on the state of
charge of your battery./

/Now, this is a pretty unstable situation that's exacerbated by any
over-discharge or over-charge condition creating metallic lithium in
your cell. The end result is Lithium Hydroxide: 1 atom of lithium, one
atom of hydrogen, and one atom of oxygen./

/But you still have a free oxygen atom floating around inside the
battery casing, that typically combines with one other oxygen atom --
O2, or what we sometimes think of as "air" -- or two other oxygen atoms,
to form a characteristic tangy, metallic-smelling substance called
"ozone", or O3. Gases expand with heat and contract with cold. Chuck a
swollen battery in the freezer and it might come out rock-hard again...
until it heats up. It's not frozen, it just got cold enough that the
gases inside didn't take up much space at all./

/And that free O2 or ozone is just waiting to pounce and oxidize some
lithium on the slightest miscalculation on your part. The modest
over-discharge during a punch-out, or running the battery a little too
low or letting it get a little too hot, or running the voltage up to
4.235v/cell on a cold day when the actual voltage limit per cell is more
like 4.1v. All of these create the perfect storm for a puffy battery to
quickly turn itself into a ruined battery or an in-flight fire./

/Understanding the role of free oxygen in your battery, from water and
other causes, is CRUCIAL to understanding why batteries fail, and why
sometimes you can get by with flying a puffy battery, and sometimes you
can't./

/If a Lithium battery is overcharged or charged too quickly, you end up
with LOTS of excess free lithium on the anode (metallic lithium
plating), and free oxygen on the cathode. A free oxygen atom is small
enough to freely traverse the separator without carrying an electric
charge, resulting in lithium OXIDE on the anode. Lithium "rust", in
reality. Useless to us at this point, just dead weight being carted
around inside your battery's wrapper./

/But lithium oxide uses fewer oxygen atoms than existed in the ionized
state, so you end up with, again, FREE OXYGEN. And people wonder why if
you over-charge a LiPo underwater, it still ignites despite the lack of
open air.../

/If it's over-discharged or discharged too quickly, the reverse is true,
but you end up with Lithium Oxide on the cathode, but at a lower rate
because there's simply less there. Basically, an abused battery quickly
develops corrosion on both poles of the battery inside the wrapper. And
the more it's abused, the worse it gets as the resistance goes up and it
still gets driven hard./

/This, by the way, is the most common cause of swelling today for our
aircraft when flown with a high-quality pack (not knock-off eBay
leftovers from expensive Chinese mistakes of 2004-2009). The reality is,
these kinds of cells, regardless of their 'C' rating, are built for use
where they last for several hours... not several minutes. While the
chemistry if used as designed is good for thousands of cycles, we're
driving them so far out of spec that we're lucky to get hundreds of
cycles out of them./

//

/In most cases, too, our batteries are under-specced. If slow-charged
and slow-discharged, many of these packs would often hold considerably
more mAh than we think they do. That's one of the reasons we get the
performance we do from them. Higher-C-rated packs also often introduce
gelled electrolyte into the separator, and carbon or phosphorous
nano-structures on the anode and cathode mixtures rather than the "pound
it out thin and hope it's mixed right" approach used with sheets of
anodes & cathodes today./