[NSRCA-discussion] Scary night of flying

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Mon Aug 23 10:14:53 AKDT 2010

I think if we talk about balancing NiXX batteries instead of "forming" we will understand what is going on and then we won't call it false peaking.  The reason you want to do the 24 hour C/10 charge periodically is to make sure all the cells are fully charged.  If the cells are fully charged and fairly well matched you can then fast charge and all cells will peak at the same time and the charger will turn off when it should.  But let's say the pack has been sitting for a long time and one or two cells self discharge much more than the others.  The other three cells peak when they are charged and the charger turns off before our two low cells are fully charged.  We fly and all is well until the two that started low fall off the plateau and the system gets soft.  If we are lucky we land safely.  And remember measuring the voltage is not a good way to know the state of charge of a NiXX pack.  It only works if you know you have matched cells and you started with a fully charged pack.  You know neither unless you do some cycling after a long period of storage.  And by the way the more cells in the pack the worse it gets.  We had a NiCd pack with 50 cells in series in a missile system.  Extended C/10 charging was the only way to know you had a charge.

All of this discussion should make it obvious that Lithium is the way to go.  We balance them every time we charge and there is no false peaking, there is little self discharge and voltage does give you a good idea of the state of charge.

Jim