[NSRCA-discussion] Scary night of flying

Keith Hoard khoard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 10:07:10 AKDT 2010

  This is why I'm a big fan of the West Mountain CBA.  I've attached a
screen grab of the discharge curve graph I did this spring of the battery in
my Evolution.  My Evolution sat in my garage from September 2008 until the
spring of 2010 with no maintenance whatsoever done to the battery.  I
charged the battery and then ran a discharge curve on the CBA, overlaying
the results on the graph I made when the battery was new.  The red and black
lines are the curves from when the battery was new, the green curve was
after the battery had sat for an entire year.

   The point I'm trying to make is that if you make a graph when a battery
is new, then you can continue to overlay discharge curves as the battery
ages or undergoes some significant event where you think it may have been
damaged.  By comparing the curves on the same graph you can tell immediately
if the battery is losing capacity or the ability to hold voltage under
load.

   Curiously, the A123 batteries I have don't seem to show any degradation
no matter how many amps I draw from them or after sitting for a year.  In
fact, if you look at the attached graph, the green line shows an improvement
over when the battery was new. . . go figure?