[NSRCA-discussion] Scary night of flying

adriancwong at earthlink.net adriancwong at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 19:59:45 AKDT 2010

Paul,

A few question:-

1) How old is the battery?

2) Did you cycle it at least twice before using it?

3) Did you use a Jaccio type regulator to regulate voltage? If you leave it plug in for a period of time, it will eventually drain the battery. Even though, it may charge it back up, but one cell could have been so drained and pulling voltage from the other cells

4) Did you use a load voltage meter to check voltage before each flight?

5) I'm using one 4 cell 2,000 mAh NiMh to power both my cdi & the avionics. However, I cycle the pack religiously, & load test it before each flight. In addition, I replace them either after two seasons or when it gets down to only 75% discharge rate, whichever comes first.

Anyway, someone was looking after you.

Adrian