[NSRCA-discussion] FW: weight difference

Ron Hansen rcpilot at wowway.com
Sat Aug 21 08:36:59 AKDT 2010

I agree.  Nuff said

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Dave Burton
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 8:13 PM
To: 'General pattern discussion'
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] FW: weight difference

OK, I got it now.

Change the rule back to a 10cc engine limit and all our problems will be
solved.

Airplanes will be smaller and cost less, engines will cost $150-$175, planes
cost under $200, you will only need a 4 channel $150 radio.

I think your logic of why cost escalated is flawed.

What drove cost up was the change to turn around pattern. The primary reason
for turnaround style as I remember from the time was to reduce the noise
footprint. This change started the development of new planes designed for
the new style which demanded more power to fly well. It's the 2 meter limit
and the noise limit that keeps cost down or we would be flying 40% gas
powered planes that weigh 45 lbs and cost 4 times what our 2M ships cost.
The 5kg limit only drives cost up. Lighter stuff cost more than heavy stuff
in every component of the planes we fly.

The 2M limit also limits the practical weight of the planes in order to be
competitive. An 11 lb. Plane is going to fly better than a 14 lb plane. So
why would you care if someone brings a 14 lb plane to a contest? If you
really want to level the playing field  then a minimum weight would be a
better way.

NSRCA really needs to be looking at ways to be more inclusive and attract
new contestants. Keeping the rules as they are will insure that pattern
keeps getting more expensive and a shrinking event.

Dave