[NSRCA-discussion] Question.

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Aug 20 18:50:13 AKDT 2010

Part of my point was that there is no difference between grabbing the leads of a 300mah 3 cell lipo, or 4 900cca 12v batteries in parallel. It does not matter if the Lipo is 3S 300mah or 3S 5000mah. It does not matter if it is a 12v 7ah gell cell, or 20 12v group 27 batteries wired in parallel. They all have the same voltage potential, and they can all source more current than will possibly flow in human tissue.  None will push more current through human tissue than any of the others.  Simple Ohms law.

I'm not doubting you, but I've never EVER felt anything from 12v. When I was in electronics class, we had access to a DC 200v adjustable power supply. My classmates and I, being curious, young AND a bit stupid :-) decided to see how long we could hold onto the leads from this power supply while someone slowly ramped up the voltage. All of us could hold on until the voltage was at least 80v, one guy could go to well over 100v. None of us seemed to feel anything less than 50v. Granted, we were not hot and sweaty.  Oh, one thing we learned very quickly was exactly who we could trust with turning the knob on the power supply. :-)

I can believe the FAI rule being based on the 42v level from UL. However, I have to laugh at the 4 digit figure they specify. 42.55V is ok, but 42.57 is not? :-)  On a more serious note, does the specification of 42.56 volts mean that we must have a meter on hand with that much precision?

Bob R.