[NSRCA-discussion] 15C vs 20C Flightmax batteries

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 11:49:51 AKDT 2010

Colin

In my opinion you really want to practice with packs with similar performance with which you will compete. This doesn't mean that all your packs need be "super packs", just the same or nearly so. A variant of this is maybe to keep the thumbs in shape and/or work on specific items with lower performance packs, then practice with the competition packs for a good number of flights before competitions.

Pack performance and longevity have continually improved over the last several years. It may very well be that the longevity part has improved to the point fewer packs are necessary for a season of flying. Hard to tell as it may take a long time to reach the end of life of the newer packs. I fly around 600 flights a year (5+ yrs. E pattern) and have used 10 / 12 / 15 / 20 / 30C packs. I really liked the Flightpower F3A (5350 / 5400) packs as they were light, had good capacity with sufficient C rating (16 / 20), and longevity. Unfortunately they've been discontinued and the EonX packs suitable for pattern may be too heavy for some. I've been using FlightPower EonX 4350 packs for F3A with good success, these 30C packs take a little getting used to as the performance is very strong - but I don't want to go back. I expect these to be very durable basis FlightPower reports - but again only time will tell.

Obviously FlightPower and ThunderPower are established and considered premium packs, Cris is providing a mid-price option with good power density, the real low cost packs carry some risk. I prefer to have fewer of the top line packs, but that's a personal decision for each of us.

Earl Haury
Team FlightPower