[NSRCA-discussion] CDI 170

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 19:11:29 AKDT 2010

Larry,

You might consider the Tech Aero IBEC. Ed Alt designed this goodie for
CDI and RX on same battery. It connects to a free channel like retracts
and then you use the retract switch on the TX as your On-Off CDI
switch. One main switch controls power to the RX of course.

I just started using an 1760 mah 2 cell lipo regulated down to 6.2 V to
the RX. The IBEC further regulates the voltage to the CDI supplying the
CDI of my SAP gasoline engine with a pretty constant 5.6-5.7V (it can't
really be constant because the CDI will demand differently at varying
rpm). The IBEC features optical signal isolation and electronic
filtering such that there won't be any RFI coming back to the RX. A
fairly bright LED signals when the CDI is armed.

Check the Tech Aero site. Ed will probably kill me for this because he
can barely keep up with demand and keep his day job. But this thing is
a realy good accessory for CDI users

BTW, the 1760 2S2P pack from Radical flew 4 full 15 min flights and I
put back about half the pack's capacity. Six flights is probably the
practical max. The battery is very light at 2.9 oz with JR connector
and may also be worth a look for anyone looking for one

MattK