[NSRCA-discussion] Genesis revisited

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sat Apr 10 21:35:51 AKDT 2010

John,
I had a Genesis (which flew great, BTW). As I recall, there was no down
thrust. However, that was 4 planes ago so I could be wrong. Anyway, no down
thrust is easy. Block up the fuse so the nose ring is perpendicular to your
table. A good square will take care of that. Then make sure the fin is
straight up and down to the table. Once you have both of those right, any
line on the fuse that's parallel to the table will be at 0 degrees to the
thrust line.

I have a dead flat, slate, former pool table top that I know is flat and
level everywhere. I use a tool called a surface height gauge that is perfect
for making straight parallel lines off a flat surface. Just google it and
you should find plenty of examples from machine tool supply house.

I actually go one step further. I have a sub-table I built years ago that's
about 2' long, 8" wide, and 5" high. The main part of the table is made from
some cheap hard board laminated to a piece of 2" foam, just like foam wing
construction with hard board instead of balsa. On each of the four corners
of the bottom of the sub table that will be sitting on my slate table, I
have an adjustable furniture caster from Home Depot. That's basically just a
1" metal disk with a threaded stud coming out of it. With those I can adjust
my little sub table (and anything mounted to it) from side to side and fore
and aft. The top half of the table has removable wooden saddles to hold the
fuse. Depending on the configuration of the fuse, I either screw the fuse to
the saddle through the holes for my landing gear or epoxy it to the saddles
after a couple of coats of paste wax on the fuse where it will contact the
saddle. If you have to epoxy it, just make sure it's kind of gobs of epoxy
rather than smears. The gobs pop right off (sometimes too easy) whereas
smears would require some picking to get it all off. I realize the epoxy
route sounds scary, but I've done it many times and learned about it from a
former kit manufacturer who was the best in the business at the time. When
you're done setting it all up, you just have to make sure to clean the fuse
very thoroughly with wax and grease remover like PPG or Dupont Prep-Sol
before you start filling and painting. Obviously, when you're gluing the
fuse to the saddles, you want the epoxy blobs to look like big spot welds
that only touch a nice smooth, waxed surface on the fuse and definitely not
something like a seam where it would get a good foot hold.

Once you have your fuse mounted to the sub table and have the casters on the
sub table adjusted so the nose ring and fin are oriented properly compared
to your main table, you use the surface height gauge to draw new alignment
lines on the fuse as close as possible to the originals. Surface height
gauges are used to scribe lines, not draw them. I made a pointer for drawing
lines from a piece of music wire and a narrow strip of wood hollowed out to
fit a super-fine Sharpie pen. I just tape the pen to the wood and the wood
has a hole in it to mount it to the music wire.

Once you've done this a few times, you'll realize how far off those original
marks can be, regardless of the manufacturer. They can make a perfect plug
and mold with perfect alignment marks and still pop out fuses where things
have moved a few thousands. A few thousands at the root will be about 1/8"
at the tip. The three most important tools in my shop are the dead flat
table, sub table, and surface height gauge. Now, if we can just get all the
manufacturers to let us glue in our own sockets. I'm getting tired of
cutting out and replacing the originals.....

Verne