[NSRCA-discussion] Home Depot "Sportsman 1100 four stroke Portable Generator-Model # Gen 1100

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Sep 26 07:19:15 AKDT 2009

I recently went through this exercise. I decided to try an ETQ 750 from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb8xpZ66xh1/R-100669124/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It will not handle much inrush current such as from an RV converter, but it will handle my 12V 20A power supply, which is the main reason I bought it. It is very light and quiet, I kept it, but I would not buy it again. (BTW, that is my review at the link above).

Another possibility is this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342355_200342355

It has good feedback ratings. I have not seen one run, however.

Probably the least expensive option is this:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313480_200313480

It is two stroke, so you have to mix fuel, and the exhaust smells a little, but I've seen these run and they are not that bad.

I just recently sold my old motorhome and bought a small toyhauler. I needed a good generator that was able to run my A/C. I've been following a generator thread on www.rv.net for a while now, and the general consensus on 3500w generators was that the Champion RV ready models are the best buy, so I bought one from Lowes for $329.
http://www.championpowerequipment.com/40026.php
Works great. Not as quiet as the Honda inverter models, but cost a small fraction of those. It is much quieter than most of the generators running at my clubs recent Fly-For-Tots event, including some of the built-in Onans in some of the motorhomes. It is heavy, though.

My long range plans include saving money so I can buy a couple of the Honda 2000w inverter model generators. Two can be ganged together for 4000w and run the camper. One can be used for charging airplanes. But, for less than the cost of one of these, I can now do both, seperately.

Bob R.