[NSRCA-discussion] unknowns

Vicente "Vince" Bortone vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 17:18:29 AKDT 2009

Bill check below in italics.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill's Email" < wemodels @cox.net>
To: "General pattern discussion" < nsrca -discussion at lists. nsrca .org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:53:39 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] unknowns

Vicente "Vince" Bortone wrote:

Doug,

You are correct.  I just wanted to say that there is a maneuvers called slow roll that is not mention in the  IMAC rule book.  I got the description from the IAC web site.  Here the description:

Slow rolls have to be flown normally on a straight line (exception is the avalanche). The roll rate has to be constant and the longitudinal axis of the plane has to go straight. This requires constantly changing rudder and elevator control inputs throughout the roll.

I wonder how this maneuver is judged.  Base on the description it is required to use rudder and elevator.  I suspect that the judge has the authority to downgrade if the pilots is trying to avoid using rudder and elevator during the roll.  I really don't know how this is done in the real planes but I will guess that a pilot will try to do slower roll rate to get maximum points.  Again, I could be wrong in my interpretation and I am sure that you will know more details.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
IAC does have a "slow roll" in the glider catalog. Yes, I saw it .  Requires that a judge to measure the time to roll.  Very time consuming.  I think it is called super slow roll.   As Doug said, the traditional "slow roll" merely means a normal aileron roll without any hesitations (points). Nothing in the description you quoted mentions a particular roll rate, only that the rate must be constant. Correct. However, the descriptions adds the following:   " the plane has to go straight. This requires constantly changing rudder and elevator control inputs throughout the roll".  For me this means that the pilots has to show complete control during the roll.  Clearly this is very difficult to show if the plane rolls extremely fast and the pilot does not do any effort to demonstrate what the description of the maneuver is calling for.  Probably they don't require a time since they want to avoid having a separate judge measuring the time to roll.  Interesting situation and will be good to ask  IAC certified judge.  I have the opportunity to go and help at  IAC contest every year.  I will try to remember and ask about this in the next chance.

As far as control inputs go, if you want to see an IAC judge laughs themselves unconscious tell them that you think a figure should be downgraded because the pilot failed to use the rudder or what ever. It is in the IAC rule book.  A good judge should follow the description of the maneuver and use it to give the appropriate downgrades if any.

In IAC and IMAC it does not matter how a pilot achieves the criteria, all that matters is how well those criteria are met. Period.  Agree if follow what is in the rule book.  If the rule book is wrong it should be modified to called fast roll.

And Doug is right about the IAC roll rate. They will roll as fast as the plane is capable of rolling. This interpretation goes against what is in the rule book.  The maneuver is called slow roll no fast roll.  The description and name of the maneuver does not say the fastest roll possible.  Of course, for the pilot it is easier to roll as fast as possible.  The judge has the ultimate responsibility to write down the score.

Regards,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone