[NSRCA-discussion] unknowns

Vicente "Vince" Bortone vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 08:42:40 AKDT 2009

Doug,

You are correct.  I just wanted to say that there is a maneuvers called slow roll that is not mention in the  IMAC rule book.  I got the description from the IAC web site.  Here the description:

Slow rolls have to be flown normally on a straight line (exception is the avalanche). The roll rate has to be constant and the longitudinal axis of the plane has to go straight. This requires constantly changing rudder and elevator control inputs throughout the roll.

I wonder how this maneuver is judged.  Base on the description it is required to use rudder and elevator.  I suspect that the judge has the authority to downgrade if the pilots is trying to avoid using rudder and elevator during the roll.  I really don't know how this is done in the real planes but I will guess that a pilot will try to do slower roll rate to get maximum points.  Again, I could be wrong in my interpretation and I am sure that you will know more details.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone