[NSRCA-discussion] unknowns

Woodward, Jim (US SSA) jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Tue Sep 22 05:46:57 AKDT 2009

Unknowns in pattern?  IMAC versus pattern?

I've flown a bunch of IMAC over the last 4 years.  IMAC and Pattern answer two different questions, and each group has DISTINCTLY different personalities.  At the end of a pattern contest, you will see who flew the sequences the best (usually the best pilot).  At the end of an IMAC contest, you will get closer to seeing who the best pilot is in that class.  There are pros and cons for each, each fitting the personalities of the groups.

Pattern:  Is about learning the fundamentals of precision flight. Group is not too excited about changing sequences too often, especially for the lower classes.  It is a pattern-truth that the lower classes are designed to build piloting skill and teach precision aerobatics fundamentals (wings level and such).  This group recognizes that guys don't get to fly every day, and the goal is "fly your sequence the best you can."  Lower classes are not considered "destination" classes.  Pattern guys almost 100% of the time can get into Advanced and Masters, with F3A being hit or miss.  Pattern guys believe it is "fair" that the competition is only the  "known" sequences because this levels the playing field - anyone can compete because we know what is going to be flown ahead of time, and the tier-2 kind of pilot has a competitive chance against tier-1 pilot, per se'.   Pattern guys want to know what the rules are, and then build a plane within the rules and maximize what they can.  Pattern guys are open, and keep all contests open to whoever can make it.

IMAC:  almost 100% opposite to the pattern personality.  Guys don't like rules!  Do not want rules applied to planes (... no support for even adequate mufflers or tuned pipes/silencers). Not willing to "describe" airspace or where maneuvers are flown (read ACS definition if like and let us know what the criteria is).  IMAC does not encourage moving up in the way the culture of pattern does - plenty of guys in IMAC will fly Basic or Sportsman for many years.  Intermediate is realistically the destination class.  Few make it into Advanced, and less into Unlimited.  IMAC guys want to fly new sequences every year, and this sort of offsets the motivation for moving up.  IMAC guys have some affinity for "freestyle" and undisciplined flying - they like that you don't have to practice the know sequence all the time.  All you need to do is keep "close" in the knowns, and score a high unknown round and you can win the contest due to the higher weighting the unknown round carries.  IMAC guys don't really focus on getting better geometry out of maneuvers  - as hitting snap rolls will make or break you IMAC score.  Using the 0.5/point per 5 degree rule, "snap-rolls" are in fact the whole secret to scoring IMAC patterns well - it is a maneuver within a maneuver and you need to learn how your plane snaps at low speed, high speed, power-on, and power-off.  If you can't hit a snap roll exit, don't even think about getting into Advanced or Unlimited.  This group likes "exclusivity" or "invitational" events, and this also makes its way into the regional championships.

So - there are totally different personalities at work for both organizations.  I like flying unknowns, but I don't think it is a good mix for precision aerobatics events.   Guys moved from F3A into Masters to get away from the two known sequences, so I don't think unknowns for the AMA classes really fits into the culture, or our goals of "precision" aerobatics.
Thanks,
Jim