[NSRCA-discussion] batteries high or low (electric pilots)

Vicente "Vince" Bortone vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 02:55:50 AKDT 2009

Jason,

I have the Abbra in both versions electric (Hacker C50) and glow with YS 160.  After some time flying both with the same static CG came to the conclusion that the equivalent static CG of the electric has to be forward of the glow to get both planes to fly similar.  Therefore, the inertia effect of the heavy items is important since the electric motor is lighter than the YS engine and the batteries are heavy and closer to the CG.  This was very surprising to me since usually we think that if the plane have the same static CG they should fly similar.  It took me some time to realize this. In the electric Abbra the static CG is around 1/2" forward of the glow version.  It is important to mention that the Abbra was originally design for gas engine ( ZDZ 40).  This engine is a lot heavier than the electric or YS engines.  I suspect that this plane trims a lot better with the gas engine due to the inertia effect of the heavy engine in the nose.  In conclusion, a good electric pattern design should have the nose a little longer.

I am converting to electric one of my YS powered Abbras .  I will try to place the batteries closer to the C/L of the fuselage and see the effect flying both planes back-to-back.  It will take me some time to report but I am planing to let you know if I notice a difference.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone