[NSRCA-discussion] Electric props vs. standard pattern

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 05:29:56 AKDT 2009

Nice analysis, thanks for sharing.

 Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com

________________________________
From: Dave <DaveL322 at comcast.net>
To: General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:06:03 AM
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Electric props vs. standard pattern

Dave,

The ideal prop airfoil shape is
compromised to provide the needed structural integrity to withstand aerodynamic,
gyroscopic, and impulse loads (from firing of combustion engines, and even
pulses from electric motors).  Ideal in this context meaning most thrust
and/or speed for least amount of input power.  Because the impulse loads
from an electric motor are lower, and electrics are generally run at lower RPM
(primarily to take advantage of larger more efficient props), it is possible to
design a prop that is closer to the ideal shape and lighter while still having the
needed structural integrity.

Several years ago, I played with a very
high RPM outrunner (295 KV) and checked many different props, including some E
vs glow prop comparisons –
16x10E – 8400 RPM, 79 amps
16x10 – 8800 RPM, 69 amps
Performance in the air was very similar,
but the E prop was much lighter (about 65% the weight of the glow prop).  I
preferred the glow prop because it afforded the same performance with cooler
motor, ESC, and lipo temps (less mah discharged for an equal flight).

I’ve run high RPM (7500 –
8000) outrunners in pattern quite a bit, and had always found the glow props to
be better – in terms of lower input watts needed and fewer mah consumed
for equal flights…..and I had a theory why…..but never “proved”
it to myself until this past year.  I laminated a number of E props of
various sizes for various motors/RPMs with CF cloth, and found on the higher
RPM setups, the E props with CF would turn more RPM and draw less amps….and
in the air they indeed performed better than a stock E prop or a similar sized
glow prop.  With respect to pattern sized motors/power…..I saw very
little improvement at <6500 RPM, but noticeable improvement >7000 RPM.

The vast majority of electrics being used
in pattern are <6500 RPM (and the unload in the air is a reduction in amps,
but very little increase in RPM), while the majority of glow stuff is running between
7400 and 8400 (and can unload to ~+10% RPM in the air)…….so the
difference in 6500 and 8700 (unloaded) is pretty substantial when you start
looking at prop structure needed to eliminate flexing.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net