[NSRCA-discussion] Rules proposal 11-6 question

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Tue Oct 20 13:25:41 AKDT 2009

Dave,

I do not believe the footprint is that much less than it used to be
pre-turnaround. We may have pulled in the ends somewhat but we have also
pushed out perpendicular to the flight line, particularly with F3A
rolling circles. I don't recall doing old-style turnarounds much further
out than a 175 meter turnaround that breaks the box a bit does. The
sport flyers at any field are pushing the limits of visibility and
flying further out as well.
The main issue was noise. That is an issue that could and should have
been addressed as a separate issue from a conversion to turnaround.
My original point was that we would not have considered turnaround
pattern in this country if the FAI had not shown us the way and we were
willing at that time to follow. I also believe that if the FAI were to
establish a new direction of that magnitude today, that the pattern
community/leadership would reject such a change out of hand.
It is arguable as to the cause for a drop in attendance but it does
appear to start about the same time as the conversion of pattern to
turnaround. There are a lot of ex-pattern flyers dating from that
period. Our latest contest here in Albuquerque had eight contestants.
The spring contest had 15.  If  I want to attend another contest, I have
to travel at least 450 miles. That would gain me1-3 contests next year.
Any more and I'm up to 700-1000 miles travel one way. This part of the
country(pre-turnaround) was very active in pattern. Colorado alone used
to have at least 5 contests and now they are struggling to bring back
just one of them. Utah, Montana and Nevada used to have contests- now
nothing.

For the entry level Sportsman class, I am advocating the establishment
of a skill progression  relative to flying pattern schedules. This is
independent of the maneuver complexity.  Clearly there should be more
maneuvers if only the center is judged.

For Masters, it has been argued that this is the destination AMA class.
If this is truly the case, then the maneuver difficulty should be
increased to support this class as an alternate goal to F3A . If it is a
feeder class for F3A, then it also should support some simple roll/loop
combinations. My opinion is that it is neither of these.

Your last paragraph about armchair quarterbacking and comments based on
incomplete data is somewhat insulting. I'm operating in the dark with my
comments because the leadership of the NSRCA has kept me there. Where
are the "sequence guidelines" published? And why can't the general
membership see the current state of development of the new patterns now.
If we don't see them until next year, all we are going to get is an up
or down vote.

John Gayer