[NSRCA-discussion] How I became an expert Snap Judge (TIC)

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Thu Oct 15 21:36:13 AKDT 2009

The way I see it, most of the folks think that the wing is stalled or
it isn't.  This is not the case.  Stalled typically refers to the
portion of the CL/alpha curve to the right, above the critical alpha.
The CL does not go to zero when alpha exceeds the critical 15 or so
degrees but drops with a relatively low slope.  That means it is still
providing lift.  It can also be at different values on each panel.
This is what Jerry was talking about when he referred to stalling the
wing asymmetrically.  (See excerpt below).

I submit we can create a similar asymmetrical Lift on the left side of
the curve, below the critical angle and produce a SNAP ROLL with the
application of ailerons.  This is probably not a true autorotation
that would occur with rudder and elevator only if we were on the
"stalled" side of the curve, but the resulting airframe response looks
the same.

I rest my case, Jim

I am not an aeronautical engineer.  Where is Jim Alberico when we need
him?