[NSRCA-discussion] Suggested New Snap Roll (Brake Roll) Description

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 21:03:43 AKDT 2009

How about this definition:

A snap-roll (or break roll) is a rapid autorotation roll where the
model aircraft is in a stalled
attitude, with a continuous high angle of attack.
At the start of a snap-roll, the fuselage attitude must show a
definite break and separation from the
flight path, before the rotation is started, since the model aircraft
is supposed to be in a stalled
condition throughout the maneuver, If the stall/break does not occur
and the model aircraft barrel rolls
around, the maneuver must be severely downgraded (more than 5 points).
Similarly, axial
rolls disguised as snap-rolls must be severely downgraded (more than 5 points).
Snap-rolls can be flown both positive and negative, and the same
criteria apply. The attitude
(positive or negative) is at the competitor’s discretion. If the model
aircraft returns to an unstalled
condition during the snap-roll, the maneuver is severely downgraded
using the 1 point/15 degree
rule. Snap-rolls have the same judging criteria as axial rolls as far
as start and stop of the rotation, and
constant flight path through the maneuver is concerned.