[NSRCA-discussion] basic judging question (warning 3 letterword)

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Oct 13 07:40:10 AKDT 2009

And that may always be the nature of the beast. We can do many things to improve the level of judging, but there will always be a subjective element. Human nature will always be involved.

It may seem to outsiders like we are bickering amongst ourselves, but discussions about judging is a good thing.

Bob R.

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, John Pavlick <jpavlick at idseng.com> wrote:

To put the whole thing into perspective: We spend countless hours trying to build the perfectly straight, perfectly trimmed airplane. Then we spend even more time practicing with that airplane. We go to contests hoping to score well while we're being judged by people who may or may be competent enough to judge us correctly - at least as far as some of the more technical aspects go. Does this make sense?

I think we see judging as a "necessary evil" rather than what it really is: a critical piece of our sport. I don't think anyone goes to the field to practice judging. :(

The fact that we're always discussing the same issues should mean something. You can change the wording to make things more explicit (this is good) but until you have a better way to certify judges, the "problems" will never go away completely.

John Pavlick