[NSRCA-discussion] How I became an expert Snap Judge (TIC)

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Oct 12 10:52:19 AKDT 2009

To add to the common problem…we’re not all flying the same plane, with the same planform and control deflections, meaning that a valid snap will look at least slightly different for each person even if performed with the exact same inputs.

Bottom line is that there is a LOT of variance in this maneuver and what it should look like.  Different orientations, wind directions, aircraft, etc.  And while elements are clearly in common, a good snap can still have a wide variety of “looks”.    There is even regional “bias” (sorry, 4 letter word) based on seeing a lot of the same type of snapping style and getting used to accepting that as correct, only to go to the nationals and see another regions version of correct.

I have to agree with Ron on the downgrade part.  While there is sooooo much diversity in this maneuver, it seems insane that it’s the only all or nothing maneuver we have.

Imagine if we zeroed loops because they weren’t round enough…   Or something to that effect.