[NSRCA-discussion] Proposed rule change

ronlock at comcast.net ronlock at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 12:40:40 AKDT 2009

Let me confirm, the intention is to apply the "...establish a wind corrected attitude..." in the up and down lines of a stall turn, BOTH in pitch and yaw. Assuming yes:

The pilot will establish both pitch and yaw attitude correction s s uitable for the wind.
Assuming the correction attitudes are maintained per new rule, the pilot is accepting the resulting
amount of drift as the model slows for the stall. With strong wind, and Stall turn as a turnaround maneuver,
drift out the box, or too far into the box for desired positioning becomes another pilot planning concern.
Stall turns in Fig M, would have same issues with maintaining center.

I suspect one result will be pilots making further wind corrections as model slows (risking downgrade cause that is contrary to new rule ) to maintain position. Seems like it's an added semi-subjective burden that makes judging more difficult. (Will have to judge wind corrected track, as effected by reduced speed drift, in two axis.)

While I like the goal of this proposed change, I don't think I see this as an overall improvement for stall turn judging.

Ron Lockhart