[NSRCA-discussion] Proposed rule change

Bill Glaze billglaze at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 10 10:30:17 AKDT 2009

I remember very well Ron van Putte's pilot's meeting at the Nats, (1997, I
believe) where he stated that "crab angle approaching a spin had to increase
to maintain track,"  (True, of course) and wind drift during stalled
conditions was to be disregarded.  As soon as the aircraft recovered from
the (stalled condition) spin, CRAB ANGLE MUST BE RE-ESTABLISHED TO MAINTAIN
A PARALLEL TRACK."  (Emphasis added)  If, now, on stall turns we establish a
beginning crab angle, and maintain that angle for the entire climb, this
means that when the airplane begins to slow, that drift will occur at an
increasing rate, as the plane continues to slow to a near stop.  If the
airplane is to be allowed to drift at an increasing rate, why even establish
a crab angle at all?  Just let 'er drift beginning at the pull up.
I so much remember Kirk Gray pulling up  in a vertical, and, as the velocity
of the palne changed, somehow he was able to apply control that kept the
track absolutely vertical.  It can be done, but it's not easy.. As I see it,
the advice given to Don by the FAI flyers is counter to not only the book,
but also to established judging criteria. Or should be so.
I'm having trouble seeing what is trying to be really accomplished here.
Bill Glaze