[NSRCA-discussion] basic judging question

Woodward, Jim (US SSA) jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Wed Oct 7 04:21:54 AKDT 2009

Hi Bob,

It is long taught in precision aerobatics that the stall turns are supposed to be wind corrected, and this may result in a pivot of less than 180 degrees, and this is OK.  Vertical lines should be wind corrected (imagine flying a stall turn in the cross wind, or a head wind - all lines should be wind corrected best you can).

However, this dovetails into the recent IMAC & Pattern comparison threads.  In IMAC, the plane is supposed to be brought into the "vertical plane" prior to the stall-turn(pivot) taking place.  This is mostly evident if you are flying in a strong headwind where you are wind correcting the vertical line.  Just prior to the stall turn, the pilot hast to pitch the plane into the vertical plane, then yaw around the pivot, then return to the wind corrected down line.

Thanks,
Jim