[NSRCA-discussion] Power Panal/Banana Jacks

Chris cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:34:27 AKST 2009

Mark,
I too have searched for a long time for higher amp rated banana sets.  I
think they don't exist in the size connectors (3.5mm and 4.0mm) that are
common on hobby chargers etc.  The 15-20 amp ones are not really
adequate for us but will work ok although they sometimes get warm at 20+
amps which tells me they undersized for our purposes.  That said, we are
typically not at or over 20 amps for a really long time in our charge
cycle as the current tapers off during charges. Now, if you use an Iota
to charge a 12V deep cycle and try to use 15 amp banana connectors, they
will melt on you as the Iota will try and push up to it's rated current
(55amps) through the plugs and into the battery. Don't ask me how I know....

I have used most of the ones you have shown in the examples and like I
said, they will work but are not really "correct".

Chris