[NSRCA-discussion] Was "Alabama Bound", now SPA & electrics

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 04:37:26 AKST 2009

We in SPA, for the just-concluded season, wanted a wattage that made
electrics comparable to the 61's and 91's available now -- some of
our electric gurus came up with 1400 watts, measured with an in-line
watt meter just before the motor @ full throttle.  Yes, there are
ways to "cheat" and we have new specifications for electrics ready to
roll out for 2010.  I am in the process of writing that part of the
Competitor's guide, and as soon as it is approved by our BOD, I will
"publish" them.

However, as technology for batteries, motors and the intervening
electronics continues to improve, I have a feeling we will be
continually chasing our tails trying to keep up with our regulations.

It should be noted, however, that one of our BOD members has
thoroughly researched the electric propulsion from that era, and
there was NONE in patttern -- I found an article from 1937 MAN that
talked about electric for R/C, but not for pattern.  I doubt it would
have been at all  competitive with electric stuff from the early
1970s.  We are including electrics because a very few of our members
want to do it, and the BOD decided we could try it to see if we could
make it work and keep things roughly equally competitive.

Also note, that, despite what Ron Van P. said, ANY .61 2-stroke is
legal.  Also please note that we welcome anyone who wished to compete
in the traditional pattern flying, as long as they are willing to
abide by our rules.  If not, as others have noted, there are NSRCA,
BPA, and VR/CS available...