[NSRCA-discussion] Activities for a Sunday ,, was Too Quiet

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Nov 21 16:02:57 AKST 2009

 Well boys and girls, today I got the Enigma in the air with the new Syssa 30 cc with Ed, Frank, and Paul in the audience. (Actually, they did much of the work and I only watched but that's another story). I used standard gasoline that Ed Alt uses on his 40% gasser, which is regular 87 octane with 1% oil

The set-up is better than many powerwise. It hauled the 11# 10 oz, 1150 sq. inch Enigma around with no effort. The thrust numbers we saw at Todd Syssa's shop are for real. Prop was 18.1x10 std and pipe was the ESC 40G. Header was a standard Macs for the Webra...it needed the mounting holes increased to 5mm and brought in about 1/16" closer to center, but otherwise it fit fine. Header at full length and the 40G pipe combo brought the reflector baffle to 27 1/8" from the plug, straight line.

That pipe produces a really mellow sound. The set-up is very quiet, very pattern like in the air and on the ground. Engine needs a bunch more running to break in for sure, but, my initial reaction... I am impressed!!

Bottom line, very viable and requires no special tricks or skills to operate. There is a small learning curve with the extra components (CDI module, extra ignition battery, choke pushrod and rear mounted carb, etc) and I needed to pay attention to the retro fit because of them. The soft mount is the typical Hyde style rubber isolator donut fitted with stand offs to accommodate the rear carb. No nose ring was used and it may or may not need one, I couldn't tell from just a couple "getting acquainted" flights. The engine is exceedingly smooth throughout the rpm range, with no resonance rpm that appears typical of small gassies

BTW, the radio is  brand new 12X which did something unexpected....the TX would shut itself off when I'd flip the elevator dual rate to either Hi or Low rate. I flew with the rate switch in mid position. Rate switches for aileron or rudder don't do that. Dave L, or any of you JR team members, any ideas?

MattK