[NSRCA-discussion] Design Question

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 9 17:00:13 AKST 2009

Thanks Lance. I don't want to stray too far from proven relationships but
understand there are many variables rendering each design different.
I presently have the wing located 1/2" below a centerline through the H-stab
and engine centerline. The stab is about 1/2" above the tail tube centerline
and positioned about 1/4 the height of the V-stab.
Both the wing and stab will be adjustable and previsions are included for
changing thrust angles. Tweaking these angles should effectively change the
flying height of the tail but the wing offset remains about the same.
Other than changing the vertical center of drag what are the pros and cons
associated with positioning the wing higher or lower. I'm thinking the
vertical center of drag relative to the thrust line can contribute
significantly to pitch trim. Is it a major influence?
Before beginning to cut parts it occurred to me that the design /
construction detail offers considerable leeway in vertical wing placement,
maybe as much as an inch higher or lower from the -1/2 presently planned and
changing the wing location later will require major surgery.
I guess what I'm really looking for is more understanding of the effect
vertical wing placement has on pitch trim. I guess I asked the wrong
question. Any thoughts on this will be helpful.
Thanks
Jim