[NSRCA-discussion] Bolly Clones

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Thu Nov 5 16:26:33 AKST 2009

I recently found out that Randy Johnson, a control-line legend, former North
America Bolly distributor and owner of Aeroproducts, made arrangements with
Bob McDonald, another legendary control-liner to produce clones of the Bolly
carbon fiber landing gear that went off the market last year. Bob doesn't
live too far from me so I went over to see what he's got going on. He showed
me a set of F3A Electric that are identical to the originals. They're laid
up the same with the same combination of carbon cloth and tow that result in
a gear with just the right blend of stiffness and flex. These are exact
copies, not just an attempt to make something that looks the same. Bob's
doing it right and cooks every set in an oven to get the maximum strength
out of the epoxy. I provided him with the Bolly F3A Long gear off my
Integral so he could clone those as well. I just saw the first sets out of
the mold today and they're great. I'll be putting a set on my new Integral
which I'm just getting started on. Randy Johnson is the exclusive retailer
of the gear and you can get his info at  http://www.aeroproduct.net/. He
still lists the old Bolly gear on his site so you'll have to inquire about
the new ones by phone or e-mail which are both available on the website. Bob
asked me to mention that he's not selling the gear. You'll have to get them
from Aeroproducts. Bob tells me that Bolly wheel pant clones are also in the
works from another source and will be available soon from Aeroproducts.

Verne Koester