[NSRCA-discussion] Looking For Props & Header

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Wed Nov 4 13:38:55 AKST 2009

I don't know what you mean by will it stay attached?

The new header is a wrap around style header like the previous NMP and
the Hatori 822 style headers.

All of the 120-170 engines have the same head configuration (meaning
same angle)  and same thread size. SO the new header will fit all
120-170 engines.

There is one exception. The 120AC has the air box on the back of the
head. This prevents the use of the wrap around style headers on this
engine. Other than that they are all the same.

The NMP header was a really good header for the application. When we
were using Teflon tubing to connect the header to the pipe it was
excellent. The problem was Hatori went to the newer style pipes that the
header slides inside of the neck of the pipe with the o-ring. The
aluminum tubing used on the NMP header was not as bullet proof in this
application. Remember the Teflon when hot would flex. Now the header and
the pipe are attached to each other. The header slides inside the pipe
and the result is there is still movement but the stress on the thin
wall aluminum piping is higher. Breaking, and the header would get a
grove worn in it. Actually the o-ring would pinch the aluminum tubing to
a smaller diameter and the header-pipe combo would leak. The added
stress of vibration and the direct connection many folks would break the
header tubing.

The new header is similar to the Hatori in terms of connection to the
pipe. So that swedging ( shrinking of the dia at the o-ring)  problem
and the leaking should be solved. In my setup its working well on the
proto-type headers. Next issue is the tubing being stronger to take the
stress of the direct connection. The solution is kind of unique and is
working well. Some more testing and maybe a few tweaks and its going to
be a very good replacement for the Hatori 822 and 823.

Troy