[NSRCA-discussion] Looking For Props & Header

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 06:25:39 AKST 2009

A couple additions to the prior post -

Some of the original molds have been modified (based on new theoretical data
or field testing), and this generally happens when the original inventory is
depleted.  The changes in the molds are concurrent to changes in the
algorithms utilized to calculate the prop shape and mold shape, and years
ago, this was recognizable by a change in the label on the prop.  The
earliest APC props were series "A1", and then progressed to A2, A3, etc,
with major changes occurring with "B1".  Not surprisingly, competition
oriented guys wouldn't buy a B11 when they heard a B12 existed...this
ultimately resulted in the nomenclature freezing at "C2", but the
improvements in the algorithms used by APC are never ending.

The specific letter modifiers after the prop size are for the most part
relative.  The 16.5x12 was the 1st 16.5x12.  The 16.5x13 and 16.5x14 are the
same planform as the 16.5x12, so they do not have an N or W modifier.  The
16.5x12W is W since it is wider than the original 16.5x12.  The 16.5x13W is
W because it is the same planform as the 16.5x12W.  The original 18x8,
18x10, and 18x12 props have very high taper ratios and massive hubs (used
early on in smaller IMAC style planes).  "PN" is pattern narrow to
differentiate from the IMAC style props, and "WPN" is wide pattern narrow.
The 18.1 series of props are 18.1 to distinguish from the prior series of
18" props.

Regards,

Dave

  _____