[NSRCA-discussion] 12X Failure

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Nov 3 13:03:30 AKST 2009

John,

My Accucycle has always seemed to detect a peak reliably at less than C/1. However, I always have it connected directly to the pack instead of going through the transmitter charge connector (with its associated diode, etc.) Anyway, if it does "think" that it has detected a peak, it does not shut off but will simply start charging at the lower rate, which I usually have set for C/10.

A "maintenance" charge on a lead acid battery is a completely different beast. It is simply a constant voltage charge at a lower voltage, such as 13.2v for a 12v battery. All charging for nicads should be constant current.

I have some old nicad packs for my cordless drills that will short internally if I don't keep them under a constant charge. I know I should replace them, but they work fine for what I need as long as I remember to plug them in after I am done.

Bob R.

--- On Tue, 11/3/09, John Pavlick <jpavlick at idseng.com> wrote:

I always thought that "peak" charging with a typical negative delta-V type charger was not the best way to terminate a charge cycle unless you were charging at at least 1C. Most chargers will "false peak" when they're charging a battery at a low rate (C/10). This depends on the battery of course but I've found it to be true for the most part. I have an old Alpha-4 that I use to maintain my Ni packs. Works great but they're a bit hard to find.

You even need to be careful when using a "slow" charger. From my experience, I've found it best to charge overnight for 12 - 14 hours with a constant current at C/10. Anything less than C/10 may not fully charge the pack even if you leave it on for the proper amount of time (eg. C/50 for at least 50 hours). A very low current "maintenance" charge is OK for a short time after you've fully charged the pack but I wouldn't leave one on it indefinitely. Lead Acid batteries seem to tolerate a "maintenance" charge but Ni packs don't seem to like it.

John Pavlick