[NSRCA-discussion] 54 raffle tickets sold; bug in the confirmation process

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Fri May 22 06:15:06 AKDT 2009

Wayne Galligan wrote:

> I may have missed this somewhere.  Do we receive a raffle ticket or some
> sort of raffle number?

The theory is that the fellow holding the tickets is supposed
to fill one out for you and put the numbers you have received
up where you can verify them.

I tried to use the PayPal Transaction ID that we receive as
the confirmation number; it appears that the customer
receives a different PayPal Transaction ID.

As I was falling asleep, I thought that maybe I could see why.

It can be thought of as two separate transactions:

1. Take money from customer, transfer to PayPal's treasury.

2. Take money out of the treasury, transmit to vendor.

That's not really an answer to your question, but it was
what was bugging me early this morning.  ;o)

In the last week, I've set up:

1. A PayPal page to buy the tickets.  It's working.
Folks are buying tickets--and, on behalf of the F3A team,
I'd like to say thanks to each of them.

   http://nsrca.org/PayPal/raffle.htm

2. A login system for the raffle managers to get a
complete list of who has purchased tickets.

   http://nsrca.us/raffle/management.htm

3. An entry system for the raffle managers to enter
the numbers of the tickets filled out for the customers
and placed in the drum.

   Managers get to this page by clicking on links on
   the management page.  The management page lists all
   the customers and has a button to create a .pdf
   printout of sales.

4. A confirmation page for customers to view the
number of tickets purchased and the numbers assigned
to that purchase order.

   http://nsrca.us/raffle/confirm_tix.htm

   That's what we were debugging last night with the help of
   "early adopters."

Right now, you can see that your record is in the database
and how many tickets we owe you by putting in the e-mail
address that you use with PayPal.  I'm optimistic that
one of these days, the raffle managers will fill out the
field that shows the ticket numbers they have filled out
with your name and put in the bucket.

This is our first time attempting this kind of online
ticket sale.  It should go more smoothly next year.  :o)

					Marty