[NSRCA-discussion] Foam cutter power supply

Steven Maxwell patternrules at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 07:49:24 AKDT 2009

simple and works.http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/tools/joedydruliafoamcutterps.htm
Steve Maxwell

--- On Thu, 5/21/09, J N Hiller <jnhiller at earthlink.net> wrote:

From: J N Hiller <jnhiller at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Foam cutter power supply
To: "General pattern discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2009, 11:40 AM

I remember
reading about using two dimmers. I believe the reason for using two is to get a
more sensitive adjustment near the voltage (15) we need. I have used a single
dimmer for mane years, which worked sort of. It wouldn't turn on below about 25
v but could be adjusted down to 15 without shutting off. The cure was to load
the dimmer with a light bulb connected in series with the wire and
dimmer. A 300 w bulb greatly reduced the sensitivity of the dimmer. The voltage
across the light bulb is around 75 loading the dimmer to about 3/4 full on for
very broad adjustment, 150 probably would have been enough.

There is a
shock (electrocution) hazard using household current. Although I haven't tested
it I have a GFI outlet in my shop that I use. The transformer based power supplies
isolate and separate the household (primary) from the secondary output voltage
eliminating possible contact with household current. If I didn't already have a
usable power source I would just buy one (plug & play).

Jim Hiller

-----Original
Message-----