[NSRCA-discussion] Foam cutter power supply

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu May 21 05:44:47 AKDT 2009

Forty years ago I made a foam cutter power supply; it is still in use
today.  The primary parts are a 24 volt transformer, a 50 ohm
variable power resistor and the nichrome wire (I used 0.016" wire).
Attach one lead from the transformer to one end of the nichrome wire;
attach the other lead from the transformer to one end of the variable
power resistor and attach the other end of the the variable power
resistor to the other end of the nichrome wire.  Adjust the setting
of the variable power resistor to achieve proper foam cutting.  You
can also add a switch in one of the leads from the transformer.  I
put everything in a small aluminum box.

Ron