[NSRCA-discussion] The good, the bad, and the ugly

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Wed May 20 16:31:32 AKDT 2009

Fuel ?

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Michael
Cohen
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:24 PM
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] The good, the bad, and the ugly

The Good:  I finally got out to fly today and put up flights 6 and 7 for
the season.

The Bad:  To say I practiced flying the Masters Pattern might not hold
up in court.  It had looping segments (of various radii), straight lines
(some of very, very short length), roles (lets talk about mortgage rates
instead); in other words, it had all the basic elements.  It also could
be argued that I was flying the Wonkavator, up ways and down ways,
sideways and back ways and slantways......

The Ugly:  5 minutes into flight #2, the engine stopped.  After a fun
crosswind glide, I took the engine apart at the field to find the
crankshaft-piston area very dry with shaving's everywhere, a mashed and
bent (sort of) connecting rod, and a damage to the rotary valve.  I need
to take pictures and post them because I have never seen damage like
this.  It looks like lubricating oil was unable to get into the region
and the engine just ate itself.

This was my 160DZ and is on the heals of breaking the shaft that
supports the rocker arms on a 140DZ suddenly a month or so ago.  Is
there something wrong with the lubrication system on these motors due to
some kind of blockage?  Any suggestions on what to check would be
appreciated.  The engines all looked clean and free of and kind of FOD
when I took them apart and re-assembled them this late winter/early
fall.  Before I go killing my last 170DZ, I am open to what people think
I should look for (beside an OS, going electric, or gas).

Mike Cohen
D4

Hotmail(r) goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
<http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tut
orial_Mobile1_052009>