[NSRCA-discussion] 140 DZ and Hatori Header

verne at twmi.rr.com verne at twmi.rr.com
Wed May 20 10:23:16 AKDT 2009

I had similar carbon problems off and on back when I flew glow and it took me about ten years to figure out the problem. Magnum, Powermaster, and Cool Power are all excellent fuels but they don't like each other. Every time I had the carbon problem you're describing, it was either after I switched from one of these brands to the other, or worse yet, mixed two of them together. Since the nitro and alcohol are the same in all fuels, the only thing left is the synthetic oil. Again, each company has excellent products but their oil doesn't get along with the oil from the other guys fuel. I remember one contest where I was running Powermaster 20/20 and had a gallon of Magnum 2 in case it got hot and humid out. It did, I switched and landed about 3/4 of the way through my flight because the engine started sounding REALLY bad. Took the head off and it was carbon city. I mean, carbon beyond belief. I can cite a bunch of other examples that led me to my conclusions, but the short answer is that if you just changed fuels or mixed two brands of fuel together, look there first. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your new fuel, it just means you need to eliminate any trace of the old stuff. Hope this helps.

Verne Koester