[NSRCA-discussion] db Rules

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at gmail.com
Wed May 20 05:26:36 AKDT 2009

The FAI rules has a good description of the noise test/procedure.

The maximum sound/noise level of the model aircraft and its propulsion
device, shall be 94 dB(A)

measured at 3m from the centre line of the model aircraft with the model
aircraft placed on the

ground over concrete, macadam, grass, or bare earth at the flight line.

The tolerance of the sound/noise level measurement is the specified
tolerance of the manufacturer

of the measuring instrument.

With the propulsion device running at full power, the measurement will be
taken 90 degrees on the

right-hand side, with the nose of the model aircraft pointing into the wind.
The Class 1 SLM (Sound

Level Meter) microphone shall be placed on a stand 30cm above the ground in
line with the

propulsion device Other than the helper restraining the model aircraft, and
the sound steward, no

persons or sound/noise reflecting or sound absorbing objects shall be nearer
than 3m to the model

aircraft or the microphone. The sound/noise measurement shall be made
immediately prior to each

flight. The sound test area must be located in a position that does not
create a safety hazard to

officials and other competitors.

The flight time will be interrupted while the sound/noise test at the flying
site is being made. The

competitor shall not be delayed more than 30 seconds for this sound test.

In the event of a model aircraft failing the sound/noise test, no indication
of the result or the reading

shall be given to the competitor, or his team, or the judges, and both the
transmitter and the model

aircraft shall be impounded by the flight line official immediately
following the flight. No modification

or adjustment to the model aircraft shall be permitted (other than
refuelling or battery recharging).

The competitor and his equipment shall remain under supervision of the
flight line director. The

model aircraft shall be re-tested within 30 minutes by a second noise
steward using a second

Sound Level Meter, and in the event that the model aircraft fails the
re-test, the score for the

preceding flight shall be zero. The score for the flight may be tabulated
but not made public until

the result of the re-test is communicated to the tabulators.