[NSRCA-discussion] stirring the pot..;)

glmiller3 at suddenlink.net glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Tue May 19 07:05:55 AKDT 2009

Can I get an "AMEN!"

---- "Woodward wrote:

=============
Hi Bill,

I think flying pattern is 50% competition and 50% social, IMHO. There
are many reasons for this.  The podium is small and the pool of
competitors is large.  The flying skill and dispersion of coaching is
varied across the nation.  Some areas are rich in this, where as other
guys must fly by themselves and try to get club guys to spot them.
Contest availabiltiy varies greatly from distirct to disctirct.  Our
system of judging can consistently separate the top 1,2,3 positions over
6 rounds, but is not really capable of dicerning the difference between
two perfect flights that only on differ by a small percentatge (... we
are all humans).

If you miss the social aspect of it, you miss a lot.  If you are looking
for a competitive enviornment that tries to get it right, this is it.
If you are looking for truth and justice - get a stop watch and race
something.  I am as competitive as the next person and looked at this
from all angles - joy to dissapointment.  Having come full circle, we
cannot expect more from our system than it is logically capable of
producing, and need to come to grips with what the realm of possible
outcomes are at a contest.   Once you put your name on the line and sign
up to compete you are subject to the full ream of the good and bad of
our system. On the drive home, I mostly want to feel like I had a good
time and it was money well spent.  By focusing less on the opininon of
this being purley a "competitive" sport, a little more on the enjoyment
part, I find myself enjoying the event more overall.

Thanks,

Jim