[NSRCA-discussion] Northern D5's answer to the glut in Masters

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon May 18 07:50:35 AKDT 2009

A slight variant of this was used at the D4 finals a few years back and I actually think it works better.

We have Group A and Group B as Mike suggests.  For the first 4 rounds, they flew independently, judging each other.  For the last two rounds, we rearranged the groups so that Group A was the top half from each group, and group B was the bottom half.  That meant that the winners were coming out of group A, but lets face it, in a group of 16 (which is what we had) the 9th place guy is not likely to move up to 3rd with 2 rounds to go.

This effectively gave us a "finals" format, and yet every got to fly 6 rounds, and we had a full standing 1-16.

The downside was that someone with 2 flame outs might miss the cut...but again, that's no different from a finals format.