[NSRCA-discussion] Advancement System - follow up

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Fri May 8 06:59:49 AKDT 2009

I'll second that.

I haven't flown pattern as long as some, but in the years I have spent I haven't seen trophy hounds being an issue at all. yes they exist occasionally. But they rarely last long. Sooner or later they get beat, and that's the end of it soon after. natural selection I guess.

I'm the poster child for the advancement problem to masters as described earlier. When I was flying advanced I had a lot of time to practice and did pretty well. Then I got the bright idea to kit a wood pattern plane....so much for free time LOL  So this is my 3rd year in masters and I have yet to get anywhere close to practiced form. This year started out well, then I lost my only plane. So much for this season.....

Not that I would want to return to advanced at all, I belong in masters. But I can see plainly where others have moved up because of points and wierd circumstances and they are over thier head, as in more than usually expected. These are some of the best people in pattern and I would hate to lose them just because of an arbitrary rule to weed out the so called sandbagger, who is rare as hen's teeth.

In that respect, I agree with Mark....make it a guideline ONLY. I have enough faith in people that they will do what's right and fly in the class they need to be in. maybe not all the time, but enough so it won't really matter in the big picture.

-Mike